Recent Posts

September 28, 2011

Chapter 1.6: Meeting the Family

In the last chapter, Adeline brought a male classmate home from school (Caleb), much to Anthony's and her parents' dismay. David finally got promoted to mid-level in his career, Lucie went back to work, but finances were still tighter than ever.


"Where are we going, Dad?" Adeline asked.

"We're going to Nanna's. By the way, we'll have to change into our formalwear. She prefers that."

"Dad, you didn't tell us that! I don't have my dress!" Adeline groaned.

"Father, my way of dressing always has me prepared for any unexpected situation. I'm quite alright." Anthony said.

"It's okay. I brought your outfits for both of you. Just change before you go into the house."

Dad always has the answers.


"Is that...Nanna's?" Adeline's mouth formed a O.

"Yes, that's the house I grew up in." replied David.

"Bloody blasphemy! Father, why do we not live there!" Anthony exasperated.

David laughed. "Your mother's brothers left her our house. It's the only reminder she has of her family."


"So let's leave my mother and move back in. Can you believe it, sister, this could've been ours!"

"Well, I kind of like Mom's house. It's cozy." Adeline chimed.

"Hurry up and change in the garage and then go say hello to Nanna. She doesn't like to be kept waiting." David ordered.


"Did you meet Nanna yet?" David asked Adeline after he walked in the front door.

"No...I'm scared, Dad. Is she scary?"

"Of course she isn't scary! C'mon, princess. Let's go together." David laughed.


"I see you've brought my grandchildren to finally visit me." Nanna remarked.

"Sorry, Ma, it's just that you didn't like Lucie, so I figured..."

"You figured what? That I wouldn't want to meet my grandchildren? They're still my blood, are they not?"


"I'm Laila. Laila Lee. So you're that poor cousin I have." Her jaw clenched.

"Yeah, I'm Adeline-"

"Don't worry. I know who you are. You stole Mother from me." she condemned.


"I...I'm sorry. She's just over a lot because my mom and dad are really busy and it's just that we-we need help taking care of the twins..." Adeline faltered.

"Shut. Up."


"MAY I SAY WHAT AN EXQUISITE. HOUSE. YOU HAVE, NANNA!"

"Anthony. I'm old, not deaf." Nanna chided.

"Alright, what do you say to the proposition that I move in to take care of you in your elderly state? Just in advance, would you happen to have a large spare room for me?"

"Oh, llama. David, is this your son?"


"-and all I hear is Adeline, Adeline, Adeline! Anthony, Anthony, Anthony! They are soooo adorable! They have the chubbiest cheeks and the biggest smiles! Aunt Lucie is pregnant again! Brandon, Brandon, Brandon! Bridget, Bridget, Bridget! They are soooo adorable! Their whole family is just. SO. ADORABLE!"

"Ohmigosh, Laila, I'm sorry. I didn't realize-"

"And the adorable Adeline is speaking! Thank the llama I finally got to meet her!"

"LAILA. Is that what they teach you at Smugglesworth? And you, Adeline, get over here." Nanna interjected.

"Sorry, Nanna. Didn't see you." Laila mumbled.


"Adeline, another beautiful, adorable granddaughter." Nannay smiled sweetly.

"Nanna." Adeline greeted.


"What's your favorite color, Adeline?"

"Lavender. I really like lavender."

"Ah, good. I'll remember to get you lavender colored clothes for your birthday."


Speaking of birthdays, time had passed by so quickly that nobody noticed that Brandon and Bridget had grown up. And they had turned out to be the spitting image of A & A and just soooo adorable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment